The laying of the Foundation Stone of the Industrial School in Courthouse Square - 25th October 1855
Foundation Stone of the Industrial School
(Now the Salvation Army Hostel)
A minute in the Provincial Grand Lodge of Forfarshire is for 25th October 1855, the occasion of the laying of the foundation stone of the new Industrial School in Ward Road. Lord Panmure was not present that day, as he was in London fulfilling his duties as Secretary of State for War, during the time of the Crimean War and the Indian Mutiny. On this occasion he delegated his duties to Brother George Duncan, who was at that time M.P. for Dundee and who was, according to records a member of Lodge St. David No. 78 and also a Past Master of Lodge Ancient No. 49 (RWM 1843-1849).
Again it was a big public occasion. The Brethren met in the Thistle Hall, Union Street at 12.30 p.m. and then walked in procession along Dock Street, up Trades Lane to first of all St. Andrews Church, where a Dr. Anderson preached the sermon and conducted a service. A collection was uplifted for the funds of the new institute, after which they again processed along Cowgate, Panmure Street to the site in Ward Road where the ceremony was conducted in true Masonic Form, Lord Kinnaird on behalf of the directors replied. (George 9th Lord Kinnaird was also a Freemason and Provincial Grand Master of Perthshire), They again processed back to the Thistle Hall, via Ward Road, North & South Tay Street, Nethergate and Union Street. (Iain D. McIntosh - Forfarshire Masonic History)
Full List for 1855 to 1916 (Boys and Girls)
Girls List 1877 to 1916
The Baldovan Institution was founded in 1852, mainly through the benevolence of Sir John and Lady Jane Ogilvy and from voluntary contributions and fees. It was established on the north bank of the Dighty as an orphanage, hospital and place of education and training for ‘imbecile’ children, accomodating 30 children.
As such it was the first hospital of its kind in Scotland and the second in Britain. The Orphanage opened on 30th November 1854 and the Asylum opened on 6th January 1855.
In 1856 its name was changed to Baldovan Asylum and it expanded its operations after it received its licence under the Lunacy Act of 1858, which legalised its function as a home for children. It was found that contact with 'imbeciles' had a detrimental effect upon the orphans and so in
1867 the Orphanage moved to other premises and the Baldovan Asylum concentrated its efforts on the care and education of mentally handicapped children. By 1879 the number of children accommodated at the Asylum had increased to 70 and the site where the Administrative block now stands was acquired. By 1904 the Main Building wards were built and occupied by 160 children.
The Mental Deficiency (Scotland) Act was passed in 1913, providing state supervision of mental defectives, which led to an increased demand for accommodation at Institutions like Baldovan. Between 1904 and 1932 further developments included another ward, staff residency, school facilities, a large Recreation Hall as well as occupational therapy and training in domestic, farm and garden work.
In 1925 the Baldovan Institution Confirmation Act sanctioned the trustees to form an Incorporation with the counties of Aberdeen, Forfar (Angus), Kincardine and Perth to undertake the management of the hospital with provision for children of all four counties.
In 1948 the running of the Hospital was transferred to the National Health Service. Subsequent developments included a change of name in 1959 to Strathmartine Hospital and major building works in 1963-1965, which saw the demolition of the original premises and the creation of new and improved facilities, including three new single storey wards and a swimming pool. Two new 25 bed wards were opened in 1980.