The Hospital closed in 1888 because new legislation caused it to change into an educational grant awarding trust.
The building was sold to the newly formed Dundee Burgh School Board for £15,000. It was converted into a day school for 650 pupils and reopened as Morgan Academy in 1889 with various alterations, including roofing over the courtyard as a hall.
Morgan Hospital (Academy) Records 1868-1878
The Morgan Family Grave in the Howff
Ceremony of the laying of the foundation stone of the Morgan Hospital
On the 30th July 1863
At Dundee the thirtieth day of July Eighteen Hundred and sixty three,
The Provincial Grand Lodge of Forfarshire met of this date for the purpose of laying the foundation stone of the Morgan Hospital, to which the foregoing minutes of meetings with office bearers of the Provincial Grand Lodge and Masters of the Lodges in Dundee refer.
Brother The Right Honourable
The Earl of Dalhousie KT. G.C.B. Right Worshipful Grand Master
Brother David Dickson, acting Grand Substitute Master
Brother John L. Kay, acting Grand Senior Warden
Brother Thomas Cuthbert, Grand Junior Warden
Brother David Small, Grand Secretary
Brother The Rev. Andrew Taylor, Grand Chaplain
Brother James Fyffe, acting Grand Treasurer
Brother James Winter, Grand Clerk
Brother Adam Dow, Acting Grand Senior Deacon
Brother I.G.S. Robertson, Acting Grand Junior Deacon
Brother A.W. Fairweather Grand Director of Ceremonies
Brother C. D. Chalmers Acting Grand Sword Bearer
Brother Alexander Low, Inner guard
Brother James Fraser, Tyler
And the Masters and Wardens of the following Lodges or representatives therefore with brethren of their respective Lodges.
The Montrose Kilwinning Lodge No. 15 represented by Brother Beattie
St. Thomas No.40, Arbroath. – Brother James Gordon
Operative Dundee No. 47 – Brother P. Saunders.
Ancient Dundee No. 49 – Brother F. Dick.
St. Ninian’s No. 66, Brechin – Brother Walker
St. David’s, Dundee, No. 78 – Brother Skinner
Glammis No. 99 – Brother Alexander.
Thistle Operative, Dundee, No. 158 – Brother ?????.
Incorporated Montrose, No. 182 – Brother Duncan
Forfar and Kincardine Lodge, Dundee, No. 225 – Brother Robertson
Caledonian Lodge, Dundee, No. 254 – Brother ????
Panmure, Arbroath, No. 299 – Brother Milne.
Lour, Forfar, No. 309 – Brother Strachan.
Camperdown, Dundee, No.317 – Brother Wears.
The following Lodges also joined the brethren in the course of the day viz.
Scone and Perth No. 3 – Brother Duncan
St. John, Cupar of Fife, No. 19 – Brother ???
St. Andrews No. 25, St. Andrews – Brother Milton.
St. Andrews at Craill No. 83 – Brother Anderson.
Operative, Coupar Angus, No. 105 – Brother Angus.
Lindores, Newburgh, No. 106 – Brother Lundie.
The Provincial Grand Lodge having been opened in the Royal Hotel, Dundee
The Right Worshipful Grand Master in terms of the recommendation contained in the preceding minute and with the convenience of the brethren ordered an assessment of two pounds to be levied on each Lodge in the Province to meet the expences moved by the Provincial Grand Lodge since the installation in 1854 or which may hereafter be moved and the Provincial grand Treasurer was instructed to obtain payment of the same from the various Lodges and liquidate all debts due on account of the Provincial Grand Lodge.
The Provincial Grand Lodge then marched up to the High School where the rest of the Brethren, Governors of the Hospital and Municipal bodies where assembled, when a procession was formed of the parties, which went from thence through Panmure Street, Cowgate, King Street, Princes Street, and Albert Street to the site of the building were the stone was laid in proper order by the Right Worshipful Grand Master Mason. The following is a copy of the inscription on the plate deposited in the cavity in the foundation stone.
“The Morgan Hospital
The Foundation Stone of this building was laid on the 30th day of July 1863
The Right Honourable The Earl of Dalhousie K.T. G.C.B., Lord Lieutenant of the County of Forfar
Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of Forfarshire
The Funds for the erection and endowment of the Hospital were bequested by
John Morgan esquire
A native of Dundee who died at Edinburgh on the 25th of August 1850
The object of the institution is to educate and maintain One Hundred boys, the sons of Tradesmen, Mechanics and persons of the working class.
Born in the towns of Dundee, Forfar, Arbroath and Montrose.
Architects – Peddie & Kinnear, Edinburgh
The R.W. Grand Master then addressed the assembly in suitable terms to which Provost Parker replied on behalf of the Governor of the Hospital and the Magistrates and Town Council of Dundee.
The procession thereafter returned in reverse order by Albert Street, Princes Street, King Street, St. Andrews Street, Dock Street, Castle Street and High Street, where the public bodies left and the Provincial Grand Lodge returned to the Royal Hotel, when the R.W. Grand Master instructed the Grand Secretary to write to the Masters of the Lodges attending the ceremony, thanking them and their brethren cordially for their attendance on the occasion and thereafter the Provincial Grand Lodge was closed in due order and regularity.
Transcribed by Iain D. McIntosh